Friday, February 13, 2009

Happy Valentines Day

Ok So I really don't love Valentines Day. I will admit it, it is mostly because I have not once in my life had a boyfriend on valentines Day. I don't want to be bitter about it, this is just the hand I have been dealt. But sometimes all the pink frilly, red hearted, and chocolate tend to drive me insane. I pretend it isn't coming. It is just another day, I tell myself and all my single girlfriends. It is true, it is just another day. But I forgot a couple things I actually do like about it.
For Example:
  • Let's just get real, any excuse to eat chocolate is fine by me.
  • When I was little, I actually remember that my mom used to give me and my sisters something special on this day. Like a little pen and notepad. I love pens and notepads!!!
  • And since I have been an adult, I love leaving little Valentines for people. I remember one Valentine's day I hadn't seen the family I was living with for days because of work, and I missed them. So I stopped at the store and got everyone a little Valentine. When I got home late for work that day, i left them sitting on the kitchen counter for each person. This meant a lot to them. I realized this year, that I have done this for whoever I have lived with ever since then.

So, I think with Valentine's Day here, we single ladies and gentlemen have an opportunity to see past all the greeting card hype and saddness of being lonely and to use it as another day to show someone we care about them. Those Valentine's day gifts meant a lot. It isn't even the fact that they were gifts, it was just being remembered. They obviously left an impression on me. So let's not be bitter this Valentines Day!! Let's embrace our loved ones and show them we care about them.

P.s. My favorite thing about Valentine's Day when I was little was getting an envelope that was bulky. That meant there was candy in it and I really loved that growing up. Yep, once a sugar lover, always a sugar lover!

Have a great day everyone!!!

2 comments:

Meg and Joe said...

I love this. Way to love.

neffie said...

You're so smart!!!