Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Wedding Bouquet



So picture this: five or six single girls, a beautiful woman in a white gown, a young man in a pea coat...what do you get? A bloody lip and a cut finger, but heck, you also got the bouquet!!


Telling this story isn't quite as fun when it can't be reenacted, but I will give it a try...


My beautiful sister was about to go up a few stairs in order to throw her bouquet to what would appear to be a desperate throng of girls longing for marriage. Tradition states that the woman who catches the bouquet will be the next girl to get married; and I will be honest, I am getting up there in age and I wouldn't mind if I were the next one to walk down the aisle.




So I pull my sister aside and I gently bribe her..."hey, I will give you an extra 30 dollars if you throw the bouquet to me... " Now I had no intention of actually paying her, but it was a little joke I knew she would appreciate it. Fortunately she had been sipping a little bit of the "punch" and my bribe probably needn't have taken place. She readily agreed to throw the bouquet in my direction and asked me where I was going to be standing.




After showing her where I would be, my devilish friend and ally, Taylor, took his place behind the crowd of girls and told me he was going to help me get the bouquet. So Heidi throws the bouquet in to the air..way high up in the air. My 5'3 inches was not enough to get the bouquet, but I was going to get it so help me! So I jumped. I jumped and when I came back down I slipped on the hem of my gown and began to fall backwards. I was completely fine with this because that was the direction the bouquet was heading. I rolled over and reached for the bouquet. My lovely friend Taylor pushed Dani, my other sister...Heidi's twin, out of the way and tossed me the desired bunch of flowers. I won!!! I caught the deliciously sweet smelling bouquet!! But alas, I had a bloody lip and a sliced finger. Both were minor injuries and neither cuts had any problem clotting and basically disappearing. It was HILARIOUS!
At first, I thought, "Is it fair that I used such means in order to obtain something so trivial?" But after discussion with some dear single friends....Meg Brit ;)....We have come to the conclusion that it is completely fair! No one ever specified the rules of the game. The only rule is the object of the game: OBTAIN THE BOUQUET! And if that means stooping to small trickery ploys, then so be it!

1 comment:

Meg and Joe said...

This cracks me up. I can totally see it. It was worth the 30 bucks just for the laughs! :)